SHARE
SAINT PETERSBURG, RUSSIA - JUNE 26: John Obi Mikel of Nigeria challenge for the ball with Angel Di Maria of Argentina during the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia group D match between Nigeria and Argentina at Saint Petersburg Stadium on June 26, 2018 in Saint Petersburg, Russia. (Photo by Patrick Smith - FIFA/FIFA via Getty Images)

 

*Reiterates commitment to Super Eagles

Super Eagles’ captain, Mikel John Obi has confirmed he will miss Nigeria’s must-win 2019 AFCON qualifiers away to Seychelles next month due to precautionary reasons, AOIFootball.com can authoritatively report.

Mikel, who told AOIFottball.com exclusively, that he spoke to Eagles’ Coach Gernot Rohr about the status of the injury he suffered last month, said that he remained committed to the national team and will return in subsequent games as he bids to return Nigeria back to the pinnacle of African football.

“Yeah, I spoke with the coach already and we had some agreements; as you know, I just came back from a slight knee injury which kept me out for about a month, so we felt there was a need to properly allow me to recover fully.

“Of course, I’m still very much available to the team. We have a task ahead of us, which is to deliver the Nations Cup ticket and I’m confident the guys will get the job done in Seychelles,” Mikel assured.

Mikel recently returned from a knee injury which kept him out for about a month, and with the game against Seychelles set to be played on synthetic turf, it was wise not to risk the midfielder from further having a relapse.

The Tianjin Teda midfielder was instrumental to Nigeria’s triumph at the 2013 Nations Cup in South Africa as he marshalled the Eagles to their third AFCON triumph after a 19-year wait.

LEAVE A REPLY