Istanbul Basaksehir of Turkey defensive midfielder, Okechukwu Azubuike has lauded the decision by the Turkish Football Federation to shut down the game, following the spread of the Coronavirus in Turkey, AOIFootball.com reports.
The Turkish Football Authority had suspended the league till further notice in order to control the spread of the disease but the numbers of infected persons have jacked up to 670 though with just 9 deaths recorded as at the time of the filing of this report.
Most European nations had already called a halt to domestic competitions, but Turkey’s football authorities had continued with matches behind closed doors.
But earlier on Thursday, world players’ union FIFPro called for the campaign in Turkey to be stopped amid the continued spread of Covid-19.
And the former captain of U23 Eagles told AOIFootball.com that it was the best decision at this time, whilst also pointing out that football can and should be played when it is sure of everyone’s safety.
“I heaved a sigh of relief after the announcement that the league should be suspended till a solution to the spread of this virus is discovered. I hope that things return to normal soon,” he said.